Naturopathic medicine is a unique and comprehensive approach to improving health and treating illness. Focusing on prevention and using natural substances and treatments, naturopathic doctors (NDs) support and stimulate the body’s ability to heal itself.
The primary goal of naturopathic treatment is to enhance health and prevent disease. When illness does occur, naturopathic doctors see that as an indication that the individual is out of balance internally and with their surroundings. It is an opportunity to address and remove the causes of illness, rather than simply treat or suppress symptoms. The patient is seen as a whole person and the ND takes the physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual dimensions into account when diagnosing and developing a treatment plan.
The scope of Naturopathic Medicine encompasses the naturopathic assessment of the patient and the integrated use of a core set of therapies drawn from:
- Botanical (herbal) Medicine – The use of plants for healing dates back to the beginnings of civilization and is the foundation of modem pharmacology. Plant substances from around the world are used for their healing effects and nutritional value.
- Clinical Nutrition – Clinical nutrition examines the relationship between diet and health. Special diets may be recommended, and treatment may include nutritional supplements such as vitamins, minerals, enzymes, and other nutraceuticals.
- Homeopathic Medicine – Based on the principle of “like cures like”, homeopathic medicine was developed in the 1700s. Minute amounts of natural substances are used to stimulate the body’s self-healing abilities.
- Lifestyle Counselling – Physical, emotional, nutritional and environ mental factors affect health. NDs help patients to make effective lifestyle choices.
- Traditional Chinese Medicine -. We use concepts from this ancient medicine when working with biotherapeutic drainage, muscle response testing and diet to help balance the flow of Chi (energy) through meridian pathways.
- Physical Medicine – A variety of hands-on techniques for the spine, joints and soft tissues. Physical treatments used by NDs also include hydrotherapy and the therapeutic use of heat and cold, light, massage, and electrotherapy.
Virtually all chronic and most acute conditions may benefit from treatment by naturopathic doctors. People of all ages can be helped and our practice emphasizes building strong family health.