Prevention of Osteopenia/Osteoporosis
Dr. Wales has worked with many people who have osteoporosis to help preserve bone density. We also emphasize that starting earlier in life is essential to prevent the bone loss that eventually leads to osteoporosis. Some steps we can help you with include:
- Diet coaching to enhance bone health through low acid and high alkaline foods.
- Stress management techniques to help decrease tissue acidity and therefore bone preservation.
- Encourage weight-bearing, muscle-strengthening and balance exercise
- Hair Tissue Mineral Analysis (HMA) to monitor important bone-making minerals
- CTX urine analysis to detect protein breakdown that provides early detection of bone loss.
- Acid/alkaline monitoring – we will teach you how to monitor and balance your own pH – a key factor in maintaining bone structure.
- Blood or Saliva hormone testing – to assess hormone imbalances that contribute to osteoporosis.
- Specific supplementation of bone-building nutrients including calcium, magnesium, manganese, boron & strontium.
For more info on how naturopathic medicine can preserve bones and help with osteoporosis, see Bones need More Than Calcium.